FAST Security Technician of the Year Awards
The Foundation for Advancing Security Technology (FAST) is proud to present a new initiative – the Security Technician of the Year Awards.
Security technicians are a vital part of the security industry, helping to design, install and maintain critical technologies and systems in our communities every day. Their efforts to install and service security systems are foundational to the safety of the places in which we work and live and to our nation’s homeland security. This award program recognizes security technicians who have demonstrated excellence, premier customer service and leadership within their organizations.
Nominations are now closed for the 2023 Security Technician of the Year Awards. Stay tuned for details about next year’s program!
Those nominated must meet all requirements set forth below to be considered eligible as a scholarship recipient.
- Awards nominations are open to members of the Security Industry Association (SIA) and the Electronic Security Association (ESA).
- Each nominee must have at least 1 year of professional experience in the security industry.
- Current officers, directors and key employees of SIA, ESA and the immediate families of SIA, ESA officers, directors and key employees are not eligible to receive awards under the program.
- Companies may nominate as many individuals as they would like, but only one winner will be chosen per company.
Each form must be completed as follows:
- The nomination form, completed with accurate and up-to-date information.
- An essay answering the following questions:
- Please write a statement on why you feel this individual is worthy of this award. (500-word maximum)
- A customer testimonial (500-word maximum)
- Are there any other differentiators? Has this individual made a broader impact on the company/industry/community? (500-word maximum)
Award Selection Committee
The Award Selection Committee (the “Committee”) will consist of volunteers from SIA’s and ESA’s membership bodies. Committee members are volunteers and perform their duties without compensation, financial or otherwise. If the Committee is reviewing the application of an applicant who is an employee of the Committee member’s company, or if the Committee member is otherwise conflicted with respect to the applicant, the Committee member shall recuse him or herself from all deliberation and voting regarding the applicant’s application.
- Only those nominees who meet the eligibility criteria and have been nominated via a completed a nomination form on or before the deadline will be considered in the selection process.
- It is the nominator’s responsibility to submit a complete form, which must be received on or before the deadline. The Committee accepts no responsibility for incomplete forms, lost submissions, or any other submission not in compliance with these requirements or the instructions provided within the nomination process.
- The Committee shall review each nomination and award points based on the nominee grading criteria set forth below. As noted above, a committee member with a conflict with respect to any applicant shall not participate in the review or grading of that applicant’s application and supporting materials.
- The award will be based on the Committee’s scores of the overall quality of the application and essays. The ten nominations receiving the highest scores shall be awarded. In the case of a tie, the SIA and ESA CEO’s will make the final decision.
- Award selection shall be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. Conversely, an applicant will not be selected solely based on one or more of the categories identified above.
- The decision of the Committee is final and not subject to review.
- All deliberations and decisions of the Committee shall be recorded in Committee meeting minutes, which shall be drafted contemporaneously with the review and decisions of the Committee.
Applicant Grading Criteria
The following applicant grading criteria will be followed by members of the Committee in reviewing applications and determining those applicants that will be granted scholarships:
|Fulfilled all eligibility requirements
|Up to 10 points
|Up to 30 points
|Statements about nominee
|Up to 60 points (Each question is worth up to 30 points)
|Up to 100 points
Applications for the FAST Security Technician of the Year Awards opened on Tuesday, June 6, 2023. The application closed Thursday, Aug. 31. All awardees will be notified of their selection in September.